Islamic studies will highlight Islam's innumerable contributions to the European Renaissance and world civilization.
Islamic studies at SJSU will highlight Islam's innumerable contributions to the European Renaissance and world civilization, and will foster a better understanding of Islam in our community and beyond. Additionally it will help cultivate an understanding of Islam and discover its imprint on global cultures.
It will further encourage mutual respect, understanding and harmony among members of academia, civil society and all its organizations in an attempt to counter bigotry, misinformation and Islamophobia.
The endowed chair will commit to providing an Islamic studies program that:
• Explores the social, political, economic and legislative dimensions of Islamic civilizations in the global context—Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe and the Americas.
• Analyzes Islam's contributions to the development of world civilizations in diverse fields such as literature, folklore, sciences, architecture, history, philosophy, world religions and mysticism.
• Will be the first Islamic studies program in the CSU system—located in the heart of Silicon Valley.
Islamic studies Chair at SJSU will benefit:
• Students interested in pursuing careers in politics, journalism, business and science.
• Scholars, journalists, researchers and community members interested in Islam.
• Business people who aim to discover markets in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas.